About Martin Liew
Martin Liew, an award-winning architect, has a solid Canadian architectural experience after graduating from the School of Architecture, University of British Columbia, Canada. As a registered Architect in BC, he is also a member of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design of U.S. Green Building. Since 2003, Mr. Liew has been working directly under James Hancock at Hancock Brückner Eng + Wright Architects (subsequently merged with IBI Group, known as IBI/HB Architects). During his employment with IBI/HB Architects, he delivered high-quality projects in both local and overseas. Among them, the proposal of Kaohsiung Maritime Cultural Popular Music Center, 42-storey Guardian Twin Tower, Montreal McGill University Health Centre, and Duck Island — one of the largest offices and entertainment developments in Richmond B.C. are his representative works.
Mr. Liew has led series of international competitions and was awarded the 1st prize in the Townshift international competition 2010. Moreover, in 2014 May, Mr. Liew and his team in both Vancouver and ShangHai have participated Wulumuqi Public tendering project — “Unifying Main Stations of the Subway Line #1,” in collaboration with Shanghai and Shanxi Design Institute. Two of their designs have been awarded as the 1st and 2nd places, in which Mr. Liew has developed a strong reputation for his unique architectural design by integrating North American design concepts into project in Asian context. With years of extensive experience in architecture practice in local, Mr. Liew is able to offer a full range of high-quality architectural consultation services including master planning, building design, building programming, building systems coordination, construction administration, construction documents, and project management.
Known for his expertise in architectural design, his strong background of interior design and fine arts is also an asset to his architectural career. Mr. Liew’s strength is to balance all aspects of the design and aesthetic factors, handling complicated project without having the integrity of highest quality of design compromised.
- BC Registered Architect
- Member of Architectural Institute of British Columbia ( AIBC )
- Canada Member of Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 2009-201O (RAIC)
- Member of Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design of U.S. Green Building ( LEED AP)
- Master of Architecture, School of Architecture, University of British Columbia, Canada, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, Department of Music, Collage of Fine and Applied Arts, National Taiwan University, Taiwan R.O.C. 1998
- 1st prize in Wulumuqi International Transit Oriented Development tendering project on Subway Line #1 – South Gate Station. Design Institute
- 2nd prize in Wulumuqi International Transit Oriented Development tendering project on Subway Line #1 – Ba-Lou Station, in collaboration with Shanghai GUD and Shanxi Design Institute
- 1st prize in the Townshift international competition. In collaboration with Martin Peter
- Honourable mentions on West Kowloon Reclamation Concept Plan Competition 2002 – Hong Kong, China – Martin Liew is the key designer of team of Prof. Minoru Takeyame (Japan) and Prof. Jerzy Wojtowicz (UBC).